Victim Services

The UC Santa Cruz Police Department is committed to providing assistance and services to all victims and survivors of crime, and more specifically sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking.

We work closely with confidential victim advocates who can explain victim's rights and options, confidentially and anonymously.

Resource guides can be found at: Resource/Marsy's Card page link

In addition to services provided by the University and Police Department, the Santa Cruz County District Attorney's Office provides victim and witness services. More information can be found at the Santa Cruz County District Attorney's Office: Victim Services page.

The University of California, Santa Cruz is committed to creating and maintaining a community where all individuals who participate in University programs and activities can work together in an atmosphere free of violence, harassment, discrimination, exploitation, or intimidation. Every member of the community should be aware that the University prohibits sexual assault, sexual harassment, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and retaliation, and that such behavior violates both law and University policy.

There are reporting options available to someone who is a victim of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, and stalking. Reporting options include: Criminal, Civil, Administrative, and Non-Reporting. This handout provides a brief description of each option. Regardless of what option a victim chooses, a Confidential Victim  Advocate from SAFE (Sexual Assault Facts and Education), the UC Santa Cruz Women’s Center, Monarch Services or Walnut Avenue Women’s Center can provide free and confidential support as well as an explanation of each reporting option in detail.  

Confidential Victim Advocates:

  • Can explain all of a victim’s rights and options, confidentially and anonymously.

  • Can accompany the victim throughout any reporting processes (should they choose to report), and assist with academic, housing, or employment concerns.

  • Can be with a victim during evidentiary examinations, law enforcement interviews, phone calls, line-ups, or any other proceedings that involve criminal, civil or administrative reports. If a victim is in a situation without the advocate, they have the right to wait until the advocate is present.

  • UC Santa Cruz Confidential Victim Advocates are available to assist a victim during business hours.  

  • Advocates from Monarch Services and Walnut Avenue Women’s Center are available 24/7.


It is a victim’s choice to report a crime. For the quickest response, call 911 to be connected to the nearest police department. Reporting to the police is an option at anytime. If a victim chooses not to report the crime immediately, the report can still be made at a later time. Crimes may be reported confidentially to the UC Santa Cruz Police at 831-459-2231 Ext 1. Tips can be made anonymously to the police at 831-459-3847 or to the UC Hotline at 800-403-4744. Contact a Confidential Victim Advocate for assistance with this process.


Filing a Civil Suit

A victim may choose to file a civil suit against the defendant whether or not criminal charges have been filed. A civil suit gives a victim an opportunity to recover actual damages. This may include compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering, and emotional distress. Contact a Confidential Victim Advocate for assistance with this process.

Obtaining a Protective/Restraining Order

A victim may also choose to obtain a protective/restraining order. Protective orders are civil court orders to protect victims who have experienced or are reasonably in fear of physical violence, sexual assault, or stalking by another individual. In California, one may obtain a domestic violence restraining order or a civil harassment restraining order. Contact a Confidential Victim Advocate for assistance with this process.


Any victim has the choice of reporting to the campus administration under UC Santa Cruz policy. UC Santa Cruz encourages anyone who has experienced sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence, or stalking to report an offense as soon as possible after its occurrence, in order for appropriate and timely action to be taken.

When an administrative complaint is made, the Title IX Officer conducts the investigation as to whether a violation of policy took place. For more information about administrative procedures, contact the Title IX Officer at (831) 459-2462.

A victim has the right to have a Confidential Victim Advocate present while making a complaint to campus administration. Contact a Confidential Victim Advocate for assistance with this process.


A sexual assault victim has the option to have a Sexual Assault Forensic Exam (SAFE) (commonly referred to as a "evidence kit") without filing a police report. This is referred to as a Non-Investigative Report (NIR).  However, some documentation may be completed by law enforcement to abide by law.  This information will remain confidential.

Student Health Services DOES NOT conduct SAFE/NIR Exams. These exams are done at Dominican Hospital or Watsonville Community Hospital. UC Santa Cruz students or employees who want to utilize the NIR option should contact the campus advocates or Monarch Services, who can offer free and confidential help with this process.


Victims may contact SHOP (Student Health Outreach and Promotion), the UC Santa Cruz Women’s Center, Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), or Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for more information, emotional support, individual and group counseling.

If the victim would like to seek support off campus, Monarch Services and Walnut Avenue Women’s Center provide services to victims of sexual assault, dating violence, domestic violence and stalking in Santa Cruz County.


No contact directives include any and all means of contact or communication within a specified distance and may include an individual’s residence, automobile, or other property. Any student, faculty or staff member or other person with a reasonable justification may request a no contact directive. No contact directives are not considered a sanction, but rather a lawful directive when issued by a university official.

Such directives may be issued to students verbally or in writing by a university official, acting in the performance of their official duties. A no contact directive is appropriate when there is reason to believe that future contact will result in property damage, disruption, harassment, intimidation or threatening conduct, or physical abuse.

Contact a Confidential Victim Advocate, Student Conduct or your supervisor for assistance with this process.




Sexual Assault Facts and Education (SAFE)

Student Health Center inside SHOP (Student Health Outreach and Promotion)






Sexual Assault Facts and Education (SAFE)



Title IX Officer



UC Santa Cruz Police Department



Counseling and Psychological Services



Staff Human Resources

Employee Assistance Program



UC Santa Cruz Women's Center